I miss sausages. The flavour, mainly. Sounds odd coming from a vegan, right? This got me thinking, what am I really missing? It’s as I said IT’S THE FLAVOUR! So naturally, I set about trying to recreate a cruelty free version! Fantastic on toast, wonderful in a wrap, great on it’s own, the list is endless! Now, without further a do…
MUSHROOMS AND ONIONS!
Sausage-like mushrooms and onions
- 400 g standard musrooms (any will do, cheap is fine!)
- 200g onions (red, shallot, white, french, yellow, banana any is good!)
- 1.5 tsp rosemary (dried for speed or fresh for a refined taste)
- 1.5 tsp sage (as above!)
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil (any unflavoured oil is good)
- 0.5 tsp salt (I use himilayan, sea is fine)
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 1 veg stock cube (vegan of course)
Let’s have at it then!
- Turn the hob on, medium/high heat (not hot enough to burn but hot enough to fry), place a frying pan on it add oil.
- Peel and chop onions, add to pan, fry for 2 mins.
- Chop (peel them if you like, Kim would hate if I didn’t mention this) the mushrooms and add them to the pan.
- Chop the herbs if need be then launch everything else into the pan. After a while, check the stock cube has either broken down or turned to stock.
- Cook until the mushrooms shrink slightly or, if you like, until they are slightly crispy.
- EAT! EAT IT ALL!
- I like them on toast for breakfast, or as an accompaniment to main meals or put in pasta or on jacket potatoes or with chips. The uses are endless, although they aren’t to good for cleaning the floor or fake snow.