Man, I am tired. Like completely fried, it’s sunday MY day of rest. Now, me and the Mrs need to eat. Big, dirty, I want to feel like a big mac has christened my lips (ask Kim, she was the queen of the biggy mac). All joking aside, I think you get the idea. It’s easy, it’s cheap but it can be used any time EVEN for entertaining!
BBGB (Big Boy/Girl Baked Beans) and Next Level Jackets
You ready? Hungry. Let’s do this.
Next Level Jackets
- 1 – 2 kilos potatoes (cheap ones are fine, but you can use specific potatoes for jackets)
- Heat oven to 200°c.
- Wash and scrub potatoes, cut them in half and put them in a baking/roasting tray. Size is NOT important.
- Put in oven.
- After about 20 minutes, remove the tray and coat in a bit of oil. Now you want enough to coat them but not DROWN them.
- Salt lightly, you can always add more later.
- (pop the beans in at this point if you are doing the whole recipe!)
- Put back in the oven for 30 mins or till they are as crispy as you like. Now you may need to check on them and give them a shuffle/shake every say 10 mins to check for even crisping. This isn’t crucial but some might prefer perfect jackets!
- I often butter the potatoes when serving (with vegan spread).
BBGB (Big Boy & Girl Baked Beans)
- 800g baked beans
- 1 big red onion
- 4 tsp Garlic powder
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp Tamari soy sauce
- 1 -4 tsp hot sauce (Adjust to how spicy you like)
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- Preheat the oven to 200°c.
- Open tins and pour into a oven proof dish big enough for the beans and more.
- Peel, chop and throw onion into the beans.
- Add all the other ingredients and whack it into the oven!
You can do this by placing all on a table and letting people dive in as they wish. Dip the jackets in soy sauce or the beans or anything. You can serve with all kinds of sauces, mayonaise (vegan), hummous, whatever you like. This meal is designed to be easy and enjoyable for all! I normally have spinach and nutritional yeast to hand for some extra nutrition and variety!